TT Durai the peanut man or Gomez?
My thoughts of the recent elections in Singapore. GE2006. With so much news about James Gomez and how he is a liar, etc… make me wondering with disgust…who is more of a liar? A liar whom cheated many charitable Singapore into believing NKF’s financial plight so that he can gain financially from it. Had not for his foolishness in suing SPH and Susan Long. I guess this NKF saga will still go on and on…because the gahmen have so much faith in them.
In 2004, however, the Government was still defending NKF. Ministers Khaw Boon Wan and Lim Hng Kiang were still singing the praises of an organization and its staff when the rot had already set in. Mr Khaw lauded NKF’s operations and wanted the organization to remain transparent. He said: “I take my hat off to the NKF.” Mr Lim assured everyone that NKF was on “quite a sound record.”
I rest my case.
And what did Gomez do? I believe many on the street agree with me, that since Gomez have already apologize for his folly, it is time to move on. However, will the Gomez Saga continue, it might with the following statement …
**This statement below truly sicken me…**
“It is in the AG’s authority to exercise his discretion, but his decision not to prosecute does not, in any way, make James Gomez less of a liar or less dishonest. I reiterate what I have called him, a liar and dishonest, and that Ms Sylvia Lim and Mr Low Thia Khiang did not act honourably by shielding him. If Gomez claims he is not a liar nor dishonest, he can go to court to clear his name,” said Mr Lee in his statement.
Anyhow, share with you folks NKF’s misdeeds…
National Kidney Foundation (NKF) roll of dishonour!
DOWNLOAD FULL REPORT: http://www.nkfs.org/download/nkf_report_161205.pdf
Facts and Figures
• In 1995: Pay was increased from $12,000 to $18,000. The promotion was back-dated six months, so he received another $36,000. On top of that, Durai received a $30,000 bonus “top-up” based on the revised salary.
• In 1997: Durai was offered a salary of $30,000 a month but he chose to accept only $25,000, a $7,000 increase over his previous wage. The increment was backdated 11 months, amounting to an extra $77,000.
• Sept 1997 – Oct 2003: Overtime pay amounted to $187,000
• May 1995 – Nov 2003: Encashing his leave entitlement brought in another $350,000.
• In 2004: Chalked up an average bill of $32,952 per month on his corporate credit card.
• In 2004: $70,000 “study trip” to Las Vegas for six of NKF’s staff, including Durai, to get fresh ideas on doing charity shows
• In 2004: $430,000 on movie and concert tickets to be given free to “nurture” donors
• Staff received pay increments as many as four times a year. Former director Matilda Chua’s salary rose from $1,300 to $12,500 over nine years.
• Staff were given exit payments of up to 10 months’ salary.
• In 2004: NKF made profits of $993,677 from drug sales. Although the NKF claimed it helped its patients save over $3.5 million in treatment costs, it had charged its patients a premium for certain discounted drugs, instead of passing the savings on to them.
Source: CNA (http://www.channelnewsasia.com/nkf/)
And what did Gomez do?
Mr James Gomez claims that he was going to submit his application to be classified as a minority-race candidate, but amidst many other forms and distracted by the media, he put the form in his bag after filling it up.
He did apologize for his oversight over this when the CCTV footage was shown to him. To me, his apology suffices. He did not go out his way and blatantly lie about the form.
The media reported heavily upon the issue due to People’s Action Party (PAP) continuing to comment on the issue and calling Mr James Gomez a liar after the Electorial board released concrete video and audio evidence. I totall hate this part!!! Instead of addressing the daily concerns of Singaporeans, much time they have wasted commenting the integrity of James Gomez… Yes, while I do agree that integrity is one of the most important traits of a politician be it the ruling part or any another party.. Eh, the ruling party members aint faultess too..
Need I say more? Integrity of Alternative party in Singapore are put into question. While it may be true that opposition does not have candidates as good as the PAP ones. One wonders if this has anything to do with the negativity associated with joining the opposition. Over lunch with one of my colleague, he openly declare that he wants to join PAP and perhaps become a MP cos the pay sounds very lucrative. I am quite put off by this statement . To me, if you are willing to step forward and be an MP, then it must be community spirit that motivate you to serve and not the money side of things. This does leave me quite disappoint and naturally ponders the sincerity of the people leading us.
Well, come 2011..Hopefully I will finally get to exercise my vote without fear or favour…Voting in singapore comes with alot of fears..Don’t believe just google on it.
I shall leave you with this…